January 25, 2013

After Prom 2013

Staley High School Prom/After Prom 2013

Starting last year I was fortunate to join a leading Missouri PTSA (Parent/Teacher/Student Association), Staley Falcon Club, at my children's high school.  I joined when my oldest son became a freshman and immediately felt welcomed into the group. 

I was very excited to learn that the 2012 school year would also be the first year Staley high school would have an official After Prom event.  Back when I went to school, (in the stone age my kids would say) the only events that took place after prom were in someone's basement or a hotel room and most of them were....questionable at best.

Now that I have teenagers, I can look back in hindsight and wonder "how did I survive some of the wild things I did"?  I also realize that, given an alternative, I might not have participated in some of those activities. (Now keep in mind that I used to be a wedding/event consultant when I make my next statement.)  Imagine my excitement when I heard they were looking for volunteers to help plan the first ever After Prom!

I couldn't have been more ecstatic to participate!  I could give my own children, and so many others, an alternative to potentially hazardous behavior AND I could be involved in planning a HUGE event.  Not to mention I had amazing people to work with.  It was like heaven.....that is, until we presented it to the students.

Needless to say, there wasn't as much excitement radiating from the students.  They were leery, didn't want to be locked in at school all night and Lord knows, they couldn't have ANY fun while on school property. So we had a tough go at it.  Ultimately though, we pulled off a pretty cool event with approximately 120ish students who attended.

We had all kinds of activities to do; interactive shows like a Hypnotist and Staley Idol (our version of American Idol), tons of food including a chocolate fountain, Buffalo Wild Wings and cotton candy, a photo AND cash booth, DJ, dancing, sports and more....  

We received really positive feedback from the students and knew that next year (2013) would be much easier.  So here we are again, knee-deep in event planning.  Some of last years attractions will be returning due to high demand, such as the Hypnotist, caricature artist, chocolate fountain and cash/ photo booths. 

We've also got some new activities planned.  A 17' rock wall to climb, a dodge ball tournament, were adding a nacho fountain and Minute to Win it Challenges.  Oh yeah, there will still be tons of prizes just given away!  And just between you and me, we're working on a really BIG grand prize of the 4 wheeled kind.  But until it's for sure, keep it hush hush will ya? ;)

As of right now, we are currently accepting donations of the monetary, prize or food variety.  If you would like to support your community and local students, please consider this cause.  It isn't just about throwing a big party.  Take a look at our 2013 Brochure for some scary statistics as well as how you can contribute to the After Prom event.
 
Check out Staley's first ever After Prom Movie for a glimpse into all the fun we had last year.

Click here to learn more about Staley's 2013 After Prom or Staley Falcon Club.  Feel free to email either staleyfalconclub@yahoo.com or myself if you have questions. 
  Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to "AP" day.







~~~If you don't see a silver lining...make one~~~

No comments: